What you need to get started with cross stitch embroidery
Are you a cross-stitch beginner and keen on getting started with a project? It’s fairly easy and you don’t need much to get going. All you need to get started is:
- Fabric (the most commonly used is the so called Aida cloth)
- An embroidery needle (with a blunt tip)
- Embroidery floss (exv. DMC Mouliné 6 stranded yarn/floss)
- Pattern (if you’re not planning to go free hand)
- Scissors (preferably embroidery scissors, scissors of a small size)
Most people prefer to use an embroidery hoop when stitching. An embroidery hoop helps to keep your fabric stretched and neat. It can also be used as a frame if it has the same shape and is big enough for your pattern.
Extra tools for embroidery
- Embroidery hoop (A smaller size can be easier to handle but a larger one can also act as a frame when the embroidery is done)
- Needle magnet (To keep track of your needle)
- Needle threader (for easier needle-threading)
When you buy an embroidery kit from us you’ll get Aida cloth, needle, embroidery floss, pattern and easy instructions. Embroidery hoops can be purchased as an add-on in various sizes.